|Deviant Login||Shop||Join deviantART for FREE||Take the Tour|
Rev. 22:18-19 and the CommaRevelations 22:18-19 and the Comma Johanneum: Oops!
Revelations 22:18-19 (KJV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
An alarmingly common misperception exists concerning the above passage. Due to Revelations' location at the end of the Bible, people mistake this verse to mean that not only has the Bible been finished but that nothing has happened to it in the years since it was compiled. What these people fail to realize, however, is that the Bible has indeed been added to in a very definite fashion - The Comma Johanneum.
1 John 5:7-8 (KJV)
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghos
Paul and Marraige? When one attempts to argue for or against marraige based on the Pauline epistles, one soon runs into a particular problem: inconsistencies.
1 Corinthians 7 is where Paul issues his statements concerning marraige, so let's start there.
1 Corinthians 7:32-34
32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
Here we have Paul seeming to condemn the concept of marraige on the basis that marraige distracts people from God's service. However, we must look at matters more car
Response to Brother Andrew 1Response to "Islamic and Mormon Similarities" by Brother Andrew
[note that this is taken from a post on an internet forum; coding, typos, and spelling mistakes are retained. Where it says "quote" is where the entry from the page comes from. The names given are of other people on the board.]
[quote]"Modern Mohammedanism has its Mecca at Salt Lake... Clearly the Koran was Joseph Smith's model, so closely followed as to exclude even the poor pretension of originality in his foul 'revelations.' " (The Women of Mormonism, Frances E. Willard, 1882, Introduction, p. xvi)[/quote]
Except, of course, for the fact that the burden of proof as to whether or not JS was familiar with Islam is on the person making this statement.
[quote]"The student of Mormonism will be struck with the similarity of experience and claims of Joseph Smith an
Response to Hitchens 1Response to Christopher Hitchens' Mormonism: A Racket Becomes a Religion
[Author's note: this piece is the result of an encounter that took place on a message board I go to. Quotes are placed in Italics if the encoding is present, or in red boxes if the encoding is not; this is due to how the material was copied over. Encoding used for quotations and highlights is retained. I'm leaving it as is, right down to the typos and my failure to remember specific names or spelling in a few places .]
[quote=Saros]An interesting little piece I found about the origins of mormonism
I'm noting mistakes and flaws pretty quickly into the article.
1. [quote]In March 1826 a court in Bainbridge, New York, convicted a twenty-one-year-old man of being "a disorderly person and an impostor."[/quote]
It was well-known that JS was brought to trial for an incident in which he
Response to Ed Decker 1A Response to J. Edward Decker's To Moroni With Love.
Decker, J. Edward. To Moroni With Love. 2nd ed. Seattle: Life Messengers.
1. The "works cited" page that is to appear at the end will not include the scriptural references from any Mormon works or the LDS edition of the King James Version; instead, I shall post the link to the website where an HTML version can be obtained - . This is done in anticipation of having to make multiple citations.
2. For the most part, those works that will be cited will be works that are not officially sanctioned by the LDS faith; save for two exceptions, they will either be general information sites (such as Wikipedia) or apologetic websites. Consider yourself duly notified.]
I believe that everyone can imagine my surprise when I spotted this item. One of the local Lutheran churches was having a charity rummage sale, and I discovered it in a pile of assorted pamphlets. A few cents later, and I was able to take i
Role-Playing Game Tips no. 2Role-Playing Game Tips, pt. 2
10. If you find that a stay cat has had a litter of kittens in your game room, it's time to re-locate.
9. Cute, cuddly female cleric + quarter staff + natural 20 + max damage = kobold head flying across the room.
8. When attempting to construct your own gaming table, please observe all safety notices in regards to the use of power tools. Especially if those notices include a verbal warning that your choice of power saw isn't very good.
7. No matter how cold the gaming room gets, if the jar of cheese dip says "refrigerate after opening" then you need to put it back in the fridge once you're done with it.
6. When your character is at a diplomatic function, *never* walk right up to a diplomat from a foreign nation and ask if they're evil.
5. Warning shots may be fired straight at you.
4. In the event that you are dealing with a dragon that has polymorphed itself into a cat, *never* take it to the vet to be spayed or neutered. They don't like that.
3. When pur
Role-Playing Game Tips Pt. 110. When in doubt, Magic Missile.
9. On Deathground, you fight.
8. The security staff at the space port have the right to make you eat a bag of sugar before you pass through customs.
7. Kill the squirrels… or they'll kill you.
6. When facing a frost giant who is immune to non-magic weapons, the proper response is *not* to charge right up to him and bust him in the groin with a magical walking stick.
5. When facing a squad of fire giants, do not attempt to bluff them in an effort to steal their alcohol.
4. If your drow ranger foolishly tries to bluff them anyway, have the kender pull out his climbing gear so that he can start hacking away at their joints.
3. Dragons can explode under the appropriate circumstances… like when you do something that isn't covered in any of the rule books.
2. Kobolds do not like it when you use a bucket to return their pet baby dragon to them (see #3)
1. If someone asks your elf whether or not it's a fairy, boldly declare "NO!" and walk away. It'll be that m
Car TrekWhat would you do if life handed you a lemon?
When my maternal grandmother came down with Alzheimer's Disease, we were forced to confiscate her car. Had she been allowed to drive it, then in her state she would have been a threat to not only herself but also to anyone else sharing the road with her. Unfortunately, even after she went into a nursing home we were so busy taking care of her that we were not able to do even routine maintenance on the car.
When she did pass away, we slowly got around to dealing with everything we had been neglecting in order to take care of her. It took a while, but we eventually got around to her car. Dad began working on it during his spare time, and in the process he began to notice trouble.
The first major problem that showed up was with the instrument cluster. The cluster had to be sent out for repairs, which cost $1,000 or so. Once the cluster came back, we got that installed.
Testing the cluster revealed the second major problem. For reasons unknown,
Household Tips10. Never mix root beer and vanilla Quik powder. The resulting chemical reaction will cause you to spend the next fifteen minutes cleaning the counter.
9. Remember to rotate out your food storage from time to time. If it entered your pantry the same year Bush Senior entered office, then it's too old.
8. If eating pasta straight from the can, add garlic salt to it; it will not only provide you with flavoring, but it should also help kill whatever microbes are living in the can.
7. If you have a cool mist vaporizer or a humidifier in your room, remember to dismantle it and clean it periodically. Orange-colored residue in the reservoir is always a bad sign.
6. If at any point the adhesive you are using gets too cold, simply place it under a lamp and allow it to warm up slowly. Placing it in the microwave is not recommended.
5. Always remember to remove the batteries from any and all electronic devices before putting them in storage. Wet-cell batteries will corrode under the proper circums
Keep in Touch!
^Nyx-Valentine arrived in our community and started whipping everyone into a frenzy with her relentless desire to bring the Artistic Nude and Fetish galleries to the fore. 9 years later, and it's safe to say that Nyx is not only a leader as a photographer in these galleries, but she has also established herself as a much saught after model. ^... Read More